Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Animation Reflection

Technical: I have never animated anything before, except on the little sticky notes when I was a kid. I can see the similarities, but using Photoshop on the computer is much more complex. I have a new appreciation for animators and the process of animation, since it took me over a week to animate a one second video, so the process of animating a 2 hour movie must be incredibly difficult.

Idea or Concept: I really had no idea what I wanted to do, except that I really wanted the ball to be food. I was hoping to do a more squishy type of ball, but it was cool to explore the way a hard object would bounce differently than a softer one. My idea was the same once I decided on a cookie bouncing into someone's mouth, I just added different things like the background and the mouth closing as I went along.

Influences: I literally had zero influences for this, and I usually never do so probably it's safe to take this question off the reflection because I'm just wasting space here so I'll meet the one page requirement but if you want to leave it then I guess I'll continue pretending I am saying something useful here.

Composition: I tried to make everything look like it all fit together and I tried to choose colors that look nice together and don't clash. It did end up looking a little busy for my taste, but I think I did an alright job.

Motivation: For once, I actually was kind of motivated to do this project because seeing the animation move that I made myself was pretty encouraging and cool. I mostly liked doing the actual animation of the cookie rather than the background and foreground, but I was honestly really happy with how it turned out and I didn't mortally hate this project as much as I did the other ones.

Critical Assessment: I actually really liked how this turned out and how actually cool it looks, considering I made it with zero knowledge of animation whatsoever. I was surprised at how many tiny components come together to make an animation, and like I said already, if it took me that long and that much work for one second, I can't begin to imagine 1 or 2 hours. If there's anything I would do better, it would be to find better and more exciting sound effects for the cookie. I would have also liked to shade more things and make everything look a bit nicer, but by the end I was getting a little impatient and decided not to. Overall, I'm actually pretty happy with how this turned out.

Side note: I definitely had crunching sounds when the cookie hits the counter, however they disappeared when I uploaded the video, but they show up on Photoshop. Not sure what happened here?

No comments:

Post a Comment